The Platform Ukraine Symposium will commence a series of multidisciplinary thematic workshops with the intention of finding overlaps, tensions and synergies across academic disciplines. The event is organised around three multidisciplinary panels, which will provide opportunities for specialists from a diverse academic background to analyse the most urgent themes that relate to the current situation in Ukraine and the post-socialist territory.
Attendance is free and open to all. In case of any questions, please contact the organizers via firstname.lastname@example.org.
19 September 2014
UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies
The confirmed speakers for the three panels are:
10:30 – 11:00 UCL SSEES Room 347
Panel 1: How have the recent events in Ukraine changed the East versus West divide?
This panel will explore the East/West divide in Ukraine and its significance for the further development of Ukraine and the wider post-socialist territory.
Chair: Andrew Wilson (Ukrainian Studies; UCL-SSEES)
- Erica Richardson (Public Health; London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine)
- Simone Ciufolini (Psychiatry; King’s College London)
- Kathryn Cassidy (Human Geography/Ethnography; Northumbria University)
12:30 – 14:00 UCL SSEES Room 347
Panel 2: What is a fair price for happiness and a good quality of life?
This panel will discuss the intersection between socio-economic and ethical aspects of the ongoing events in Ukraine.
Chair: Robert Brinkley (Chairman of the BEARR Trust)
- Ulliam Blacker (Culture & Literature; UCL-SSEES)
- Elena Denisova-Schmidt (Politics – Corruption; University of St. Gallen)
- Olesya Khromeychuk (History; UCL-SSEES)
- Olena Nizalova (Health Economics; University of Kent)
14:30 – 16:00 UCL SSEES Room 347
Workshop-Panel 3: Studying the post-socialist space in times of crisis – methodological issues
This panel will probe into the ethical, logistical and methodological issues concerning research in the post-socialist territory
Chair: Peter Duncan (Russian Foreign Policy; UCL-SSEES)
- Ellie Knott (Politics; LSE)
- Kaneshko Sangar (International Relations; UCL-SSEES)
- Anton Shekhovtsov (Area Studies – Far Right; UCL-SSEES)
- Ondrej Timco (Politics – Corruption; UCL-SSEES)
16:00 – 16:30 UCL SSEES Room 347
- Honourable Chair: Professor Geoffrey Hosking (UCL-SSEES)
16:30 – 18:30 UCL SSEES Masaryk Room
Information taken from the event website http://platformukraine.com/